I qualify for the Lifetime Learning Credit, and qu...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jaborla1

I qualify for the Lifetime Learning Credit, and qualified for a credit of $4,000. Why is my tax refund unaffected by this?

2 Replies
xmasbaby0
Level 15

I qualify for the Lifetime Learning Credit, and qualified for a credit of $4,000. Why is my tax refund unaffected by this?

The Lifetime Learning Credit is not a refundable credit.  It reduces the tax you owe. And...the Lifetime Learning Credit is a credit of  up to $2000.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/credits-and-deductions/help/who-is-eligible-for-the-lifetime-learn...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

"Not a refundable credit" means that the Lifetime Learning Credit cannot make your refund more than the tax you had withheld during the year. If, without the Lifetime Learning Credit, your refund was already equal to all the tax that was withheld, there's nothing more to be refunded. Adding the Lifetime Learning credit (or any nonrefundable credit) cannot make your refund any higher.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings