turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I paid tuition out of pocket last year. Where do I enter that?

The cashiers office at my school told me that my 1098-T only shows what was billed to me, not what was paid. I have account information through my school and bank that shows how much I paid for tuition out of pocket. But also my 1098-T is showing that the amount in box 2 includes amounts for an academic period starting in January 2017. I know my 2017 tuition wasn't paid at all in 2016, so I'm really confused why it's being recorded for 2016. So my question is where exactly do I record my out of pocket tuition payment? And should I leave the box 2 amount as is or should I change it to what I paid for that 2016 semester, including loans, scholarships, and out of pocket?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

I paid tuition out of pocket last year. Where do I enter that?

Enter the 1098-T as the school reported it. Under Box 2 on the 1098-T screen click the link that asks "What if this is not what I paid to the school?" and enter what was paid in 2016. This includes scholarships, grants, loans, gifts, and cash.

(Please see screen shot below)

Keep a copy of your school account statement and the 1098-T with your tax file.

Next year you may need to refer to the 2016 1098-T if classes for 2017 were billed on the 2016 1098-T, but will be paid in 2017.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies