Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

I paid for tuition using Stafford Student Loans, how do I report this.

1 Reply
Intuit Alumni

I paid for tuition using Stafford Student Loans, how do I report this.

To enter educational expenses in TurboTax Deluxe online edition, please follow these steps:

1. After sign into your account and select Take me to my return 

2.  At the right upper corner, in the search box , type in 1098t and press Enter 

3.  Select Jump to form 1098T 

4.  On screen, "Do you want to enter your higher education expenses?" answer Yes

5.  Go through the step-by-step interview questions/ screens

6.  On screen, "Did you get a 1098-T from school for 2016?"  make your selection

7. Follow prompts to enter information. 

If you paid tuition with the student loan and required to pay back, you can treat those expenses as you paid out of pocket. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies