Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm a graduate student. My program requires I maintain licensure, certification, and continued education. Where can I write these expenses off?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

I'm a graduate student. My program requires I maintain licensure, certification, and continued education. Where can I write these expenses off?

The data entry for such expenses depends on how the expenses are categorized.

If the license, certification and continuing education are required 'enrollment fees' for your school, they can be part of your tuition. If that's the case, the amount is included on Form 1098-T, which you will be receiving from school. If the fees are just required and are part of the enrollment, but not part of the tuition and not listed on the form -  they are entered us other tuition expenses. Please visit:

1. Deductions & Credits section
  2. Education 
  3. Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T section) - go through the interview questions.  Program will ask to enter 1098-T form information as well as other expenses not reported on the form.

NOTE: if the fees are required but not part of enrollment, they are not deductible as education expense.

If the above expenses are required to maintain or improve skills needed in your present work, or if employer requires it, they are considered job-related expenses.  Education expenses you pay related to your present work as an employee may be deductible as a miscellaneous itemized deduction subject to the 2% rule. The data entry is located in:

1. Deductions & Credits
  2. Employment Expenses
  3. Job-related Expenses 

If the expenses are to learn a new trade or job (are part of a program that will qualify you for a new trade, or are needed to meet the minimum educational requirements of your present trade) - they are not tax deductible.

For more information on Qualified Education Expenses, please refer to below links:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/qualified-ed-expenses

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc513.html

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

The data entry for such expenses depends on how the expenses are categorized.

If the license, certification and continuing education are required 'enrollment fees' for your school, they can be part of your tuition. If that's the case, the amount is included on Form 1098-T, which you will be receiving from school. If the fees are just required and are part of the enrollment, but not part of the tuition and not listed on the form -  they are entered us other tuition expenses. Please visit:

1. Deductions & Credits section
  2. Education 
  3. Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T section) - go through the interview questions.  Program will ask to enter 1098-T form information as well as other expenses not reported on the form.

NOTE: if the fees are required but not part of enrollment, they are not deductible as education expense.

If the above expenses are required to maintain or improve skills needed in your present work, or if employer requires it, they are considered job-related expenses.  Education expenses you pay related to your present work as an employee may be deductible as a miscellaneous itemized deduction subject to the 2% rule. The data entry is located in:

1. Deductions & Credits
  2. Employment Expenses
  3. Job-related Expenses 

If the expenses are to learn a new trade or job (are part of a program that will qualify you for a new trade, or are needed to meet the minimum educational requirements of your present trade) - they are not tax deductible.

For more information on Qualified Education Expenses, please refer to below links:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/qualified-ed-expenses

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc513.html

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies