turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kalankap

I have a 4-year bachelor degree from a foreign university and now I am in my second year of grad school in UT Austin. Do I qualify for AOC? I never claimed it before.

My brother is also in a grad school but he has 3-year bachelor degree from China. What about his AOC?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I have a 4-year bachelor degree from a foreign university and now I am in my second year of grad school in UT Austin. Do I qualify for AOC? I never claimed it before.

are you in the US on a visa?
kalankap

Yes, but I have been here more than 9 years.
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

Based on the IRS Publication 970 Tax Benefits for Education, an eligible student for the purpose of claiming the American Opportunity Credit has not “completed the first four years of post-secondary education” before 2015.  There is no exception listed for education completed outside of the United States. 

In your case, if you completed four years of college prior to 2015, then you would not qualify for the American Opportunity Credit. 

In your brother’s case, if he completed only three years of college prior to 2015, then he may qualify for the American Opportunity Credit. 

To take a closer look at the IRS Publication 970, click here.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies