turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kljhg

I cosigned loans for my dependent son's tuition and paid the interest in 2023. He received a 1098-E in his name. How do I enter this information on my return?

TurboTax won't let me enter a 1098-E unless it's in my or my wife's name.  I checked the IRS guidelines (topic 456) and we meet all the requirements.  Intuit Assist gave me directions for exactly what I want but the options don't seem to exist on the form: "Follow the prompts to enter your son's information as the borrower and your information as the cosigner.  Enter the amount of student loan interest you paid as the cosigner in the appropriate box."
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

I cosigned loans for my dependent son's tuition and paid the interest in 2023. He received a 1098-E in his name. How do I enter this information on my return?

Q. How do I enter this information on my return?

A. Treat the 1098-E as yours. Since you are the co-signer, check your name as borrower. 

"TurboTax won't let me enter a 1098-E unless it's in my or my wife's name" is not quite accurate. It will let you enter it.  It just suggests that you shouldn't. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies