Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I bought a used electric vehicle (EV) model year 2023 in July 2024. Can I claim any credit?

I bought a used electric vehicle (EV) model year 2023 in July 2024. Can I claim any credit?

I'm reading the  requirements in the following page:

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/used-clean-vehicle-credit

"Have a model year at least 2 years earlier than the calendar year when you buy it. For example, a vehicle purchased in 2023 would need a model year of 2021 or older."

Does it mean that I cannot claim the credit?

Do I have any other possible credit instead?

If not, what is the reasoning for this restriction?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

No, you cannot claim the credit since the 2023 EV that you purchased in 2024 is not 2 years earlier than the calendar year when you bought.

No other credit is available for the vehicle purchased.

You can claim the sales taxes paid for the vehicle as an itemized deduction on Schedule A.  However, the total of all your itemized deductions on Schedule A must be greater than the standard deduction for your filing status to have any tax benefit.

IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/used-clean-vehicle-credit

To qualify, a vehicle must meet all of these requirements:

• Have a sale price of $25,000 or less. Sale price includes all dealer-imposed costs or fees not required by law. It doesn't include costs or fees required by law, such as taxes or title and registration fees.
  • Have a model year at least 2 years earlier than the calendar year when you buy it. For example, a vehicle purchased in 2023 would need a model year of 2021 or older.
  • Not have already been transferred after August 16, 2022 to a qualified buyer.
  • Have a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 14,000 pounds
  • Be an eligible FCV or plug-in EV with a battery capacity of least 7 kilowatt hours
  • Be for use primarily in the United States

@palfonso2 

<< If not, what is the reasoning for this restriction?>>

it is the way Congress passed the law.  That is the reason for the restriction!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies