Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Ohrlund

I am a public school music teacher. Could I write off an instrument that I use for class? Is there a maximum deductable amount?

I do not use it for making money outside of school.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AamilD
Expert Alumni

I am a public school music teacher. Could I write off an instrument that I use for class? Is there a maximum deductable amount?

It depends. You can deduct it, if you meet the following criteria:

• Work as a teacher, instructor, counselor, principal or classroom aide
  • Work with students in kindergarten through grade 12
  • Complete at least 900 hours of work during the school year
  • Be employed by a school that provides elementary or secondary education as determined by state law

The Educator Expense Deduction allows eligible educators to deduct up to $250 worth of qualified expenses from their income. However, you can’t deduct expenses reimbursed by your school, covered by a grant or another source.

If you meet all the above criteria then you can take a deduction for up to $250 worth of qualified expenses. To enter this information in TurboTax, please login to your account & follow the steps below:

• Click on Tax Home on the Left Side Menu
  • Find the Deductions and Credits tab
  • Scroll down to Employment Expenses
  • Click Start next to Teacher expenses

Additionally, please visit Educator Expense Tax Deduction for more information.

Please refer to the image below for further reference.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If you are a W-2 employee you cannot deduct job-related expenses on a federal tax return.

Job-related expenses were eliminated as a deduction for W-2 employees by the tax laws that changed for 2018 and beyond.  Your state tax laws might be different in AL, AR, CA, HI, MN, NY or PA.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4482873-which-federal-tax-deductions-have-been-suspended-by-tax-re...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
AamilD
Expert Alumni

It depends. You can deduct it, if you meet the following criteria:

• Work as a teacher, instructor, counselor, principal or classroom aide
  • Work with students in kindergarten through grade 12
  • Complete at least 900 hours of work during the school year
  • Be employed by a school that provides elementary or secondary education as determined by state law

The Educator Expense Deduction allows eligible educators to deduct up to $250 worth of qualified expenses from their income. However, you can’t deduct expenses reimbursed by your school, covered by a grant or another source.

If you meet all the above criteria then you can take a deduction for up to $250 worth of qualified expenses. To enter this information in TurboTax, please login to your account & follow the steps below:

• Click on Tax Home on the Left Side Menu
  • Find the Deductions and Credits tab
  • Scroll down to Employment Expenses
  • Click Start next to Teacher expenses

Additionally, please visit Educator Expense Tax Deduction for more information.

Please refer to the image below for further reference.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. Could I write off an instrument that I use for class?

A. Yes.  Reference https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/college-and-education/tax-tips-for-teachers-deducting-out-of-po...

Q. Is there a maximum deductible amount?

A. Yes. $250 total for the year. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies