I followed the instructions given in previous questions but I couldn't get to the screen to add the interest paid on my non-dependent children, just my husband and myself.
It's hard to tell what the issue is without knowing more about your return.
Note: For the box asking whose name the student loan is in, be sure to select that it is in your own name (if you've co-signed). Selecting the child's name will disallow it.
You can deduct student loan interest if:
- You paid interest on a qualified student loan in tax year 2016
- You are legally obligated to pay interest on a qualified student loan
- Your filing status is not Married Filing Separately
- Your Modified Adjusted Gross Income is less than a specified amount which is set annually, and
- You or your spouse, if filing jointly, cannot be claimed as dependents on someone else's return
If you still feel you qualify, there must be incorrect entry. If editing doesn't help, consider deleting and starting over. (See below.)
To review the Student Loan Interest entry:
1. Go to Federal Taxes (or Personal if using Self Employed version)
2. Click on Deductions and Credits
3. Click on I’ll choose what I work on
4. Scroll down to Education
5. On Student Loan Interest Paid (Form 1098-E), click the start or update button
To delete the Student Loan Interest:
- Open your return in TurboTax. ...
- In the upper right corner, click My Account > Tools.
- In the pop-up window, select Delete a form.
- Click Delete next to Form 1098-E and any Student Loan Interest Worksheet and follow the onscreen instructions.
Still have questions?Make a post