Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I enter my 1098-T if I wasn't a student in 2016?

I graduated from college in 2015 but when the college sent me my 1098-T they posted a private loan I received as a scholarship on my 2015 1098-T.  They sent me a new 1098-T for 2016 that has the amount of the loan in box 6, adjustments to scholarships or grants for a prior year.  How do I enter this in TurboTax?  The first question asks if what degree I was working on.  The NO answer says No, I was a student in a different kind of degree program.  Neither YES or NO works for me.  How do I enter the 1098-T?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

You may need to file an amended return for 2015.

the IRS says that this recharacterized loan is essentially a refund, and if it is received after you  have already filed your return claiming that refund, you must repay any excess credit. If you received an education credit based upon expenses that were paid by this scholarship, then you will need to refigure your 2015 education credit.

To refigure the credit for 2015:

1. First, read how to amend a 2015 return.

2. After you have begun the amend process, type "1098-T" in the Search box, then select Jump to 1098-T.

3. On the page titled Your Education Expenses Summary, select Edit.

4. On the page headed Your Education Summary, scroll down to Scholarships/Grants f(or all schools). This is where you will enter the scholarship on the new 1098-T. (See the screenshot below for an image.)

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

You may need to file an amended return for 2015.

the IRS says that this recharacterized loan is essentially a refund, and if it is received after you  have already filed your return claiming that refund, you must repay any excess credit. If you received an education credit based upon expenses that were paid by this scholarship, then you will need to refigure your 2015 education credit.

To refigure the credit for 2015:

1. First, read how to amend a 2015 return.

2. After you have begun the amend process, type "1098-T" in the Search box, then select Jump to 1098-T.

3. On the page titled Your Education Expenses Summary, select Edit.

4. On the page headed Your Education Summary, scroll down to Scholarships/Grants f(or all schools). This is where you will enter the scholarship on the new 1098-T. (See the screenshot below for an image.)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies