blampy

How do I associate both of my children's tuition in TurboTax for a 1099-Q that was distributed to me as the account holder?

CynthiaR

Since you got one 1099Q for both children you will want to make two entries to divide the 1099-Q in half so you can associate the correct amount of tuition to each child!" 

Edited [2/26/19 | 10:30 pm]

CynthiaR

Edited [2/26/19 | 10:30 pm]

blampy

The distribution was for private middle school tuition so I don't have a 1098T.  What do I do in that case?
CynthiaR

see edited answer above
CynthiaR

see edited answer above
blampy

My name is the recipient of the 1099-Q since I am the account owner and the $20,000 distribution was to me by the VA education savings trust for their private school tuition that I paid -- $10,000 was from each of their individual accounts.  TurboTax will let me enter the 1099-Q but it will only let me associate one student and tuition cost for that one student with the 1099-Q.  I would expect it would let me enter the tuition for both students so that I would be able to deduct $10,000 for each student from the distribution as tax-exempt.
CynthiaR

you would need to put in the 1099Q separately for each child.   Put in $10,000 separately.
CynthiaR

see revised answer above
blampy

Well that seems kinda kludgy but it works.  I just split the value for all of the boxes between the two and verified that there aren't two 1099-Q entries in the output that will be submitted and seem to get the right outcome.  Thanks!