turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

blampy

How do I associate both of my children's tuition in TurboTax for a 1099-Q that was distributed to me as the account holder?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CynthiaR

How do I associate both of my children's tuition in TurboTax for a 1099-Q that was distributed to me as the account holder?

Since you got one 1099Q for both children you will want to make two entries to divide the 1099-Q in half so you can associate the correct amount of tuition to each child!" 

Edited [2/26/19 | 10:30 pm]

View solution in original post

8 Replies
CynthiaR

Since you got one 1099Q for both children you will want to make two entries to divide the 1099-Q in half so you can associate the correct amount of tuition to each child!" 

Edited [2/26/19 | 10:30 pm]

blampy

The distribution was for private middle school tuition so I don't have a 1098T.  What do I do in that case?
CynthiaR

see edited answer above
CynthiaR

see edited answer above
blampy

My name is the recipient of the 1099-Q since I am the account owner and the $20,000 distribution was to me by the VA education savings trust for their private school tuition that I paid -- $10,000 was from each of their individual accounts.  TurboTax will let me enter the 1099-Q but it will only let me associate one student and tuition cost for that one student with the 1099-Q.  I would expect it would let me enter the tuition for both students so that I would be able to deduct $10,000 for each student from the distribution as tax-exempt.
CynthiaR

you would need to put in the 1099Q separately for each child.   Put in $10,000 separately.
CynthiaR

see revised answer above
blampy

Well that seems kinda kludgy but it works.  I just split the value for all of the boxes between the two and verified that there aren't two 1099-Q entries in the output that will be submitted and seem to get the right outcome.  Thanks!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies