Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hello, I’m currently pursuing an associates in nursing which I will then get a bachelors of nursing after graduating. I went to school on and off for the last 8 years.

I used 3 lifetime tax credits previously and 1 American opportunity credit as well. I have 112 credit hours and never used the hope credit 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

Hello, I’m currently pursuing an associates in nursing which I will then get a bachelors of nursing after graduating. I went to school on and off for the last 8 years.

As long as you are pursuing a program towards a Bachelor's Degree and are at least a half-time student, you could qualify for Education Credits.  You can only claim the American Opportunity for four years, however, even if it takes longer to get your degree. 

If you have a 1098-T, enter it into TurboTax and answer the questions in the interview.  Don't forget to add Additional Expenses (like books, required fees, etc.) are normally not included in the Tuition amounts shown on the 1098-T.  

You can still get a Lifetime Learning Credit after you've used up your AOC credits. 

Here's some info on education tax breaks and form 1098-T that may help you. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

As long as you are pursuing a program towards a Bachelor's Degree and are at least a half-time student, you could qualify for Education Credits.  You can only claim the American Opportunity for four years, however, even if it takes longer to get your degree. 

If you have a 1098-T, enter it into TurboTax and answer the questions in the interview.  Don't forget to add Additional Expenses (like books, required fees, etc.) are normally not included in the Tuition amounts shown on the 1098-T.  

You can still get a Lifetime Learning Credit after you've used up your AOC credits. 

Here's some info on education tax breaks and form 1098-T that may help you. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you so much!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies