MelO4

Full Time Student Qualification

My 19 year old son was attending college full time as of March 2020.  Then COVID Lockdown hit and he wasn't able to finish the semester because there were no in-person classes.  He could not finish on-line because it was considered a Lab type class (he needed the equipment at school) to complete the course.  Can he still be considered a "full-time" student for that semester?  I'm trying to establish myself as "Head of Household" with a full-time student as my qualifying child.

AmyC

Full Time Student Qualification

HOH status can also use qualifying relative and a son counts there as long as he lived with you over half the year. See Qualifying Relative.  You would also like this short quiz, What Is My Filing Status?

For full time student status: Each college determines what is considered full time. The IRS requires it be 5 months. No, your son would no qualify.

MelO4

Full Time Student Qualification

So, you are saying, even though he was enrolled in the school, but COVID prevented his continuing, the IRS still does not consider that a "full-time student".  I get it.  If you don't meet the 5 month requirement for full-time status, you don't meet it but COVID was an extreme circumstance.  Thanks for you help!

DawnC

Full Time Student Qualification

If he wasn't a student for 5 months then he doesn't qualify as a 'full-time' student, but you can still claim him as your dependent if he qualifies as your qualifying relative.   This type of dependent also allows you to claim the Head of Household status.   

MelO4

Full Time Student Qualification

Thank you!!  Your responses have helped !