Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do my years of foreign higher education in a program not recognized a degree program by US universities disqualify me from AOTC?

In Nigeria, there is a secondary kind of higher education that leads up to the award of a "Higher National Diploma" (HND). It is a two-year program that requires the previous completion of two years of study and the award of a "National Diploma" (ND). Though generally considered inferior to a bachelor's degree, some employers consider the HND as "equivalent" to a bachelor's. US universities don't consider the HND as a bachelor's degree. According to AACRAO, the four years of combined ND and HND are considered as three years of college when applying to a US college or university, AT BEST. How many years of college, if any, will these ND and HND count for when applying for AOTC?  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

Do my years of foreign higher education in a program not recognized a degree program by US universities disqualify me from AOTC?

Q.   Do my years of foreign higher education in a program not recognized a degree program by US universities disqualify me from AOTC?

A. Probably not. 

There is some disagreement on the topic. Here's a derailed discussion on this subject:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/college-education/discussion/does-bachelor-degree-earned-from-othe...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies