hotdogtrain

Do I need to report tuition fee waivers as grants?

I'm attending Sacramento City College and I have received the Board of Governors' Fee Waiver, so I haven't had to pay tuition. Do I need to report this as a grant? Also, the name has now changed to California College Promise Grant, so do I need to report it now? Do I report the money that is called a grant and not the money that was called a waiver? Thanks.

MichaelDC

Speaking only for the federal tax return, you'll enter the tuition fee waiver amount under Other Scholarship or Grant. I can't speak for the CA state, as I'm not familiar with it since I've never had a tax liability to the state of CA.

MichaelDC

hotdogtrain

I am only seeing the option for "Scholarships/Grants (for all schools)." Is that the same thing? I did not receive a 1098-T because all of my tuition was waived.
hotdogtrain

Just kidding I found it. Thank you!
MichaelDC

Good catch. Good luck!