Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

adeluna
Returning Member

Do I have to report my 1098-T on my tax return if I didn't receive any type of financial aid and my tuition amount was relatively small?

I have yet to receive my 1098-T form, but I entered the tuition amount I paid, and it didn't make too much of a difference in my estimated refund. I didn't receive any financial aid, just a one time HERFF grant refund that I believe was part of the CARES act, and everything was out of pocket. Do I still have to report the 1098-T on my refund if I'm ok with not getting the credit? My main concern is that I'll have to get it ammended if I file without it. 

*Also, I have a past due balance on my tuition that I was unable to finish paying, so I haven't paid the full amount yet. Does this affect anything as well?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
RaifH
Expert Alumni

Do I have to report my 1098-T on my tax return if I didn't receive any type of financial aid and my tuition amount was relatively small?

No, you do not have to report Form 1098-T on your 2021 taxes and you would not have to amend later if you choose not to take the education credit. However, I would advise that you hold off if you can so that you can run the numbers reported on the 1098-T to see if that impacts your situation. Depending on which education credit you are eligible for and how much of your tuition was not covered by grants or scholarships, you can receive a nice bump in your refund from one of these credits if you qualify, even if you paid relatively little tuition in 2021. Also, if you qualify for the American Opportunity Credit, you can count any expenses you had for books and other supplies which could boost the credit. 

If you have not paid your tuition in full, this will reduce the amount of tuition paid in 2021 that will be reported. If you pay that amount in 2022, it will be added to your 1098-T for next year. 

The 1098-T form should be available from your college or university by January 31. If you have not received it, you may want to check your student portal as you can often get them online before you are mailed a copy.  

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q.  I have a past due balance on my tuition that I was unable to finish paying, so I haven't paid the full amount yet. Does this affect anything as well?

A.  Yes. Only tuition paid in the year of the courses qualifies for the tuition credit.  The one exception is not applicable for your situation.

The 1098-T is only an informational document. The numbers on it are not required to be entered onto your tax return. However receipt of a 1098-T frequently means you are either eligible for a tuition credit or deduction or possibly your student has taxable scholarship income. 

You claim the tuition credit, or report scholarship income, based on your own financial records, not the 1098-T. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies