Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I fill out my 1098-T form if my parents paid for tuition?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
SherekaB

Are your parents claiming you as a dependent?

Yes.
SherekaB

When your parents are claiming you as a dependent the 1098-T form goes on their tax return.

If also goes on your tax return if you had scholarship/grant award that paid for non qualified education expenses such as room and board. They are taxable on your return even when you are claimed as a dependent by someone else.
IvanC3

What if I'm not claimed as a dependent? I graduated in the middle of last year, and after graduation made enough money to no longer be claimable as a dependent. However, my parents paid for my education in the first half of the year.

Hal_Al
Level 15

@IvanC3 

Yes, you enter the 1098-T on your return and claim the education credit, even though your parents paid the tuition.

Although the general rule in taxes is: you must pay it to get the deduction, there is an exception for education.  Whomever claims the student's dependency gets the credit. Since you're claiming yourself, you get it.

Graduating in May usually means that 2020 was her 5th calendar year of college. There is a four time limit to claiming the American Opportunity Tax Credit (AOTC) on a student's education.  So, if you (or your parents) already claimed  4 AOTCs, you are prohibited from claiming it in 2020. You can claim the less generous (and non refundable) Lifetime Learning Credit (LLC).

Assuming you haven't claimed it 4 times, there's another issue: A full time, unmarried student, under age 24, even if you don't qualify as a dependent, is only eligible for the refundable portion of the American Opportunity Credit if he supports himself by working. You cannot be supporting yourself on parental support, 529 plans or student loans & grants. You will be asked the earned income support question in the personal info interview.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies