Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

College students as dependents? Federal student loans part of them providing their support?

I am trying to determine if my sons qualify as dependents.  Also do federal, student loans in the name of the student count towards him/her providing their own support?  My sons are twin, 19-year-old boys.  Let me explain.

Son#1-19 years old, full-time college student, lives on campus.  He received about 49% of his aid in federal student loans and 51% of his aid in scholarships.  These funds paid for his tuition, room and board, and meal plan.  Where I am getting confused is that apparently scholarships and grants do not count towards the student providing their own support.  But what about loans?  He has federal student loans in his name.  I gave him approximately $800 in 2018 as an allowance and for clothing.  We are providing his health insurance; he is on my wife’s health insurance policy.  He had a federal work study job on campus, and he worked in a summer camp in 2018.  He earned $8400 and he will be filing his federal taxes.   Can I file him as a dependent?  Are the federal student loans in his name part of the formula for him providing his own support?

Son#2-19 years old, full-time college student during the Spring of 2018, lives on campus.  He received about 68% of his aid in federal student loans and 32% of his aid in scholarships.  These funds paid for his tuition, room and board, and meal plan.  He still owes about $8,800 to the college and it looks like (although it’s not final) I will help him with about 50% of that debt.  I gave him approximately $1000 in 2018 as an allowance and for clothing.  We are providing his health insurance; he is on my wife’s health insurance policy.  He worked during the summer at a camp.  In July 2018 he started in an AmeriCorps program in FL.  He did not return to college for the Fall of 2018.  He lived in an apartment and used his AmeriCorps salary for rent, utilities, and food.  He earned about $9334 in 2018 and he will be filing his federal taxes.  Can I file him as a dependent?  Are the loans in his name part of the formula for him providing his own support? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

College students as dependents? Federal student loans part of them providing their support?

Student loans are not considered support provided by the student.  Take a look at the TurboTax article below for a view of this question from the perspective of the student trying to determine if they have supported themselves.

Without knowing the full value of the support that you did provide your sons, the question about whether you can claim them or not cannot be answered by me.  However, there are some things to consider that may help you figure it out, such as the cost of the health insurance and your home costs for the times that they may have been home from school (summer). 

Son #1 is more likely to qualify because he attended school for some part of at least 5 months of the year (full-time student).  You would compare his earned income with the amount of support that you provided to see if you provided over half.

Son #2 may not have attended school for long enough to qualify for the earnings exception for full-time students.  He would need to have been in school for a portion of at least 5 months during the year.  Otherwise, his earned income is over the limit to be able to be claimed as a dependent.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5316332

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5187060

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies