Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jhj1959

Can I use the qualified education expenses in excess of the $4000 needed for the opportunity credits to exclude eligible US Savings Bond interest from tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

Can I use the qualified education expenses in excess of the $4000 needed for the opportunity credits to exclude eligible US Savings Bond interest from tax?

Yes, and in fact, that's exactly the correct thing to do to receive the maximum benefit of both the education expense and the tax free interest. The only restriction is that you can't use the same expense for both, but if you limit your expenses for the credits, any expense over that amount is eligible to use for the taxable interest.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Anita01

Yes, and in fact, that's exactly the correct thing to do to receive the maximum benefit of both the education expense and the tax free interest. The only restriction is that you can't use the same expense for both, but if you limit your expenses for the credits, any expense over that amount is eligible to use for the taxable interest.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies