Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

radomysh

Can I file a 1098T if I attended a non-US university?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

If you attended and paid tuition to a foreign university, you might still be able to claim an education credit or deduction by filing the Form 1098-T.

In order to qualify for an education credit or deduction, the school must be an educational institution eligible to participate in a student aid program run by the U.S Department of Education.  To check if your school qualifies, click here:  https://fafsa.ed.gov/spa/fsc/#/SEARCH?locale=en_US

View solution in original post

6 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

If you attended and paid tuition to a foreign university, you might still be able to claim an education credit or deduction by filing the Form 1098-T.

In order to qualify for an education credit or deduction, the school must be an educational institution eligible to participate in a student aid program run by the U.S Department of Education.  To check if your school qualifies, click here:  https://fafsa.ed.gov/spa/fsc/#/SEARCH?locale=en_US

bk-1234

Can the foreign university file 1098-T forms on behalf of the students. If so how do they go about doing this?
Teresa991

My daughters school, Newcastle University is on the list and is therefore a qualified educational institution but Turbo Tax is insisting I provide the Filers federal id number.  The school obviously does not have one but this issue is preventing me from claiming  the tuition deduction. All advice appreciated
notpmocad

test
notpmocad

I'm in a similar situation.  My kid attends university in the UK.  I looked up the irs instructions on 1098-T... https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1098et.pdf  It says that universities, not individuals, file 1098-T.   And when I use turbotax to print my forms to mail in, it does not include a 1098-T even if I pretend that I got one.  So it's not critical that you actually have the form - though you'll want to hang onto receipts that document your expenses, maybe including the uni's official "cost of attendance" (COA) from their financial aid office.

In turbotax, on the "Forms" screen (as opposed to "EasyStep") I found a worksheet entitled "Student Info Wk".  I filled this out manually, paying close attention to sections IV - VI.  I was able to enter tuition payments there.  It looks like I can e-file with no 1098-T.  Hope this helps.

My school is in the data base, but does not have a Federal ID perse, my school is: Anglo-americka vysoka skola, z.u

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies