cpower7

Can I claim the student loan interest deduction for payments I made if i am a co-borrower on the loan

I am a co-borrower on my sons student loan.  I am the only person making payments, he has not made any.  My name is on the loan and I am responsible for it so can I deduct the interest I have been paying.  His name is on the 1098-E. 

Marketstar

You can deduct student loan interest if:

• You paid interest on a qualified student loan in tax year 2015

• You are legally obligated to pay interest (ie. you are a co-signer) on a qualified student loan

• Your are not filing Married Filing Separate

• Your Modified Adjusted Gross Income is less than a specified amount which is set annually, and

• You or your spouse, if filing jointly, cannot be claimed as dependents on someone else's return.

Marketstar

cpower7

does this apply to 2016 payments? does the program determing if the modified AGI applies? Thanks!
Marketstar

Yes and yes, the program will notify you if your Modified Adjusted Gross Income is too high.
kenkros

How does this get entered in the program if the student is no longer a dependent?