niquealicious28

Can I claim the education credit for me and my son if we are both in college. He also have a job with wages totaling $6,000 for the year.

Can i claim my school credit as well as his on my taxes?

MichaelDC

Yes. You can claim the education credit for you and your son if he is your dependent. If he is under 24 years old and a full-time student, his income is not an issue in dependency as long as he didn't pay over 1/2 of his own support.

Whoever claims your son (you or himself) will claim the credit regardless of who pays the tuition.

Also, remember that your son should say he's a dependent on another return when he files his own return. His $6,000 doesn't go on your return. 

If you have any other details regarding this question, please feel free to post them in the comment section. 

MichaelDC

niquealicious28

Thank you
Bsch4477

Yes, since he is your dependent only you can claim his credit...and you can also claim your own.