Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kevinko11

Can I claim the education credit even though box 8 on my 1098-T is not checked on the year that I paid the tuition?

I paid tuition for 2018 in 2017. My 2017 1098-T shows the tuition I paid and Box 7 is checked, but Box 8 is not checked. Box 8 IS checked on my 2018 1098-T, however. I am filing an amended 2017 return so I can claim the credit. Can I answer "yes" in response to the "half-time" student question on form 8863 even though Box 8 is not checked? Should I attach both 1098-Ts with my amended return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Can I claim the education credit even though box 8 on my 1098-T is not checked on the year that I paid the tuition?

Yes, you can still claim.  You can answer "Yes" to the question if you are at least half time student even though the box is not checked on the form. 

Yes, to amend your return, you should attach both Form 1098-T forms and add an explanation that you are at least half time student in 2017 and somehow it's not checked on the form. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Yes, you can still claim.  You can answer "Yes" to the question if you are at least half time student even though the box is not checked on the form. 

Yes, to amend your return, you should attach both Form 1098-T forms and add an explanation that you are at least half time student in 2017 and somehow it's not checked on the form. 

kevinko11

Thank you!
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

You are welcome!
memon

I have a similar situation, I paid my tuition in 2018 for 2019 Jan start, got 1098 for 2018 with Box 8 unchecked and Box 7 checked with amount in Box 1. I wasn't enrolled in 2018. I am starting school in 2019. What should I do in this situation? If I don't mark yes to at least half-time student, I don't get any credit and I don't think 2019 1098T will reflect the tuition I paid in 2018.
kevinko11

Hopefully an expert will chime in, but I should hope you would be able to get your credit this year, even though box 8 is not checked. You may want to check with your school to make sure that you qualify for the "at least half-time" status. If you don't claim it this year, you can always amend it next year like I did. It's a great credit!
memon

Thank you kevinko11 - I was able to get the answer by posting the question here: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4601595-i-ve-1098t-with-amount-in-box1-paid-in-2018-box-7-checked-...>

I am going to say yes to at least half-time student so I can claim the credit and avoid the extra workload in 2019 having to amend 2018 tax return.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies