Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim preschool tuition for my granddaughter without claiming her as a dependent..?

How do I claim preschool tuition for my granddaughter without claiming her as a dependent?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Can I claim preschool tuition for my granddaughter without claiming her as a dependent..?

You cannot claim any education expenses for her if she is not a dependent on your tax return.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. Can I claim preschool tuition for my granddaughter without claiming her as a dependent?

A. No.  But, the parents may be able to claim what you paid, depending on what tax benefit, you're asking about. 

The general rule is that a taxpayer must actually make the payment to get the deduction. However, there is a tax court ruling that seems to say that he/she can take the deduction even if you were they one that actually paid it under  the theory  that your paying the expense is just a gift to him, and it was therefore  really his money that paid it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies