turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

As an out-of-state college student earning income, should my current mailing address be my permanent address or the address my packages go to right now?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

As an out-of-state college student earning income, should my current mailing address be my permanent address or the address my packages go to right now?

When filing your taxes, use your home address in your home state.  You are not considered a resident of your college state.  You are considered ''temporarily away'' from your home state if you intend on returning after college.  Since you are earning some income while in your temporary state, you will file a non-resident income tax return for your college state and a resident tax return for your home state.  After completing your federal return, TurboTax will walk you through your state returns.  Prepare your college state return before your home state return so credits are applied properly.  

Enter home state address in TurboTax and indicate that your earned money in your college state and the program will generate the correct state returns and forms you need.  

View solution in original post

9 Replies
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

When filing your taxes, use your home address in your home state.  You are not considered a resident of your college state.  You are considered ''temporarily away'' from your home state if you intend on returning after college.  Since you are earning some income while in your temporary state, you will file a non-resident income tax return for your college state and a resident tax return for your home state.  After completing your federal return, TurboTax will walk you through your state returns.  Prepare your college state return before your home state return so credits are applied properly.  

Enter home state address in TurboTax and indicate that your earned money in your college state and the program will generate the correct state returns and forms you need.  

What if you do not intend to return to your home state after college? The plan is to remain in your college state. Do you still file as a nonresident?

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

Since you are filing information based on your 2019 activity, you will use the address for your home state on your return. You will also file as a nonresident in your college state.

Let's say you graduate in 2020, and you make your college state your permanent home state. You will then make the college state address your home state address on your 2020 return. 

@ylundstrom

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

What should I do if I filled in my home state first before filling out the college state? Delete the home state and restart? It appears that my college income is being used in my home state.....

Hal_Al
Level 15

General answer: Go thru the entire home state interview again. In particular, the part about a credit for taxes paid to another state. 

For a specific answer, we need to know which two states you're dealing with

Home state MD. Part year resident for college in KY. Worked PT jobs in both states. Her KY jobs got 1099-NEC so she pays Self Employment taxes. That income is business income. Federal taxes are square. Did MD taxes first then KY. I don't see the 1099-NECs show up on the KW-2 (lists W-2 and 1099). Not sure if the 1099 should show up as wages/income. No state tax was taken out for that?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

No.  Form 1099 income should not show up as W-2.  Form 1099-NEC is for self employment income.  No taxes are withheld on self-employment income.  It is not a W-2.  You should file a form Schedule C for this income.

Form 1099 NEC Instructions

Understand the difference between W2/1099. I'm specifically trying to find resolve the KY state tax.

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Since no KY state taxes were withheld from the Form 1099-NEC, it will not be included on the KW-2 form. 

The business income included on the Federal return on Schedule C is part of the Federal Adjusted Gross Income (AGI), which is the starting point for the KY state tax return.  As you go through the KY return, you should be able to indicate that the business income is attributable to KY.  

@Amy Badlands

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies