Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cjloeding

Savings bond interest used for college tuition expenses

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
susancao

Are you asking about whether you pay taxes on the interest when cashing out savings bonds for post-secondary education? I cashed out some EE bonds that were bought when my now college boy was a baby and we did not have to pay taxes on the interest. - BUT I had to pay the tuition myself as the bond owner, not transferring the money to my son.

I think you only qualify for the full tax break if you are middle income (about $75,000 for singles, $125,000 for married couples), otherwise the tax break disappears if you make too much money.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
susancao

Are you asking about whether you pay taxes on the interest when cashing out savings bonds for post-secondary education? I cashed out some EE bonds that were bought when my now college boy was a baby and we did not have to pay taxes on the interest. - BUT I had to pay the tuition myself as the bond owner, not transferring the money to my son.

I think you only qualify for the full tax break if you are middle income (about $75,000 for singles, $125,000 for married couples), otherwise the tax break disappears if you make too much money.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies