Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Another 1098-T question

Hello -  My daughter received her 1098-T, in the past I have always claimed it on my returns.  However, for Spring semester 2020 she paid the tuition etc. herself.  She also had a part-time job through about April of 2020 and did not work the balance of 2020.  Is there any benefit to her claiming the 1098-T on her return or is it best to continue to claim it on my end?

Thanks!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Another 1098-T question

If she is under 24 years of age and a full-time student and she did not provide for more than half of her own support, you can claim her as your dependent.

And only you can claim her education expenses on her 1098-T. It does not matter who paid the expenses.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

Another 1098-T question

Based on what you described (assuming she is under 24), you should continue to claim her as a dependent and claim the tuition credit (claim her 1098-T).

"For Spring semester 2020 she paid the tuition etc. herself."

It doesn't matter who paid it.  Whoever claims her as a dependent also claims the tuition credit.

"She also had a part-time job through about April of 2020" 

That's not enough money to have provided more than half her support.  You can continue to claim her

Q. "Is there any benefit to her claiming the 1098-T on her return or is it best to continue to claim it on my end?

A. It is best  for you to continue to claim it . It's actually not optional.  If you can claim her (and the credit), she is not allowed to claim herself and/or the credit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies