Slav811

2020 filing

I have not filed my 2020 return.  if I purchase the 2020 software download will it transfer all my information to the 2021 online version when finished?

rjs

2020 filing

The 2020 software doesn't do the transferring. The 2021 online software transfers the information from the previous year when you start your 2021 tax return. You need the .tax2020 data file that the 2020 software creates on your computer. See the following FAQ for instructions.

How do I transfer last year's return into TurboTax Online?

TurboTax Online for 2021 will only be available until October 17. If you cannot finish and file your 2021 tax return by then, you will have to use the 2021 download software (which can also transfer your information from 2020). Don't wait until the last minute.

2020 filing

If you install Turbotax 2021 on your computer (in November), it will ask "do you want to import from last year" and it will search your hard drive for any 2020 tax data files.