turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1098T doesn't show late registration of spring 2018 classes, but shows full spring scholarship disbursement in Dec. 2017. How do I claim?

My son received scholarships for 2017-18 yr.  In December 2017 he registered for two spring term classes so, all of his spring term scholarships were disbursed in Dec. He added more classes on 1/6/18. His scholarships were more than tuition on 12/31/17. But when he added more classes 1/6/18, and I paid the balance, that was no longer true.  The 1098T doesn't show the tuition for (late) added classes, only the tuition for first 2 classes and all of the spring semester scholarships. How do I report for 2017? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

1098T doesn't show late registration of spring 2018 classes, but shows full spring scholarship disbursement in Dec. 2017. How do I claim?

Was box 7 also checked indicating some of the tuition was for 2018 ?  

When you are in the Education Section of Turbo Tax,   Either  Box 1(for payments received.)  or Box 2 (for amounts billed) will be completed. 

If you look under Box 2 amount there is a note "what if this is not what student paid to this school"  

If you click on that question, an additional section will open up to enter the full amount of all tuition paid.  I have attached a screen shot.  Enter the total in this new box, and that should take care of your Scholarships being more than Tuition.  

For next year, you will need to remember that some of the 2018 tuition paid might have been included on 2017 credit calculation. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Was box 7 also checked indicating some of the tuition was for 2018 ?  

When you are in the Education Section of Turbo Tax,   Either  Box 1(for payments received.)  or Box 2 (for amounts billed) will be completed. 

If you look under Box 2 amount there is a note "what if this is not what student paid to this school"  

If you click on that question, an additional section will open up to enter the full amount of all tuition paid.  I have attached a screen shot.  Enter the total in this new box, and that should take care of your Scholarships being more than Tuition.  

For next year, you will need to remember that some of the 2018 tuition paid might have been included on 2017 credit calculation. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies