Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ericpatdu

1098-T High school student

My son is 15 years old and is in high school taking AP courses.  He received a 1090-T and has a $72.00 scholarship.  TurboTax said that the $72.00 is considered income and he should file his own tax return?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

If he has no other education expenses being covered by the scholarship, technically the scholarship amount is taxable.  However, he does not meet the filing requirements hence does not require to file. 

If the scholarship amount fully covers the tuition or fees, which should show in box 1,  then you don't even need to enter the 1098-T because he will not qualify for any education benefits. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

If he has no other education expenses being covered by the scholarship, technically the scholarship amount is taxable.  However, he does not meet the filing requirements hence does not require to file. 

If the scholarship amount fully covers the tuition or fees, which should show in box 1,  then you don't even need to enter the 1098-T because he will not qualify for any education benefits. 

ericpatdu

Thank you very much TurboTaxLina.  I have a follow-up question.  Box 1 has $144 while Box 5 has $72 so the remaining scholarship was $72.  When you say I don't even need to enter the 1098-T, do you mean that I don't need to enter it on my tax return?

Appreciate your answer.  This is all new to me.
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

With the additional information provided, it seems like he has excess education expenses after what the scholarship covers. ( 144-72) Therefore, he will be able to claim a small amount of the education credit for the $72.  Please enter the info in the system.  When I said you don't need to enter is when you scholarship covers all the expenses, which is not your case.  
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies