turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Supplemental K-1 has multiple columns for each box. each column corresponds to a separate "passive activity". How do I enter the value for each box? do i add them up?

supplemental K-1 for ETP has multiple columns for each box. each column corresponds to a separate "passive activity". How do I enter the value for each box? do i add the values across the columns for each box? e.g. there are 4 passive activities, is the value for the box the sum of all the 4 activities?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Supplemental K-1 has multiple columns for each box. each column corresponds to a separate "passive activity". How do I enter the value for each box? do i add them up?

I assume you meant ET?

Within TT, you have to enter each separate passive entity as its own K-1.  So ET gets split into 4 different K-1s (and possibly more, if any of them have box 2 or 3 entries).  This is because each of those columns represent a different PTP / legal entity, and the PTP rules don't allow losses from one to offset income from another.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Note also, I'm not a Tax Preparer/CPA. Just a volunteer, seasoned, TurboTax user.
Use any advice accordingly!

View solution in original post

3 Replies

I assume you meant ET?

Within TT, you have to enter each separate passive entity as its own K-1.  So ET gets split into 4 different K-1s (and possibly more, if any of them have box 2 or 3 entries).  This is because each of those columns represent a different PTP / legal entity, and the PTP rules don't allow losses from one to offset income from another.

**Note also, I'm not a Tax Preparer/CPA. Just a volunteer, seasoned, TurboTax user.

Yes I am referring to ET and ETP.
Still confused: Box 2 and 3 are empty across all the columns, only box 1 and some others have multiple values. Do I still need to create a separate K-1 for each of the 6 "passive activities"?

Yes.  Each separate entity (I assume the K-1 shows different FEINs for each) must be kept separate for tax purposes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies