turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will I report the profit of my TCG hobby? Example Purchases - $19,000 (Cards, paper, printer, and ink) Total sales - $20,000 Profit - $1,000

The new law is confusing me a bit. In some ways, I read it as I have to pay income taxes on all $20,000 even though I only profit $1,000. If I can deduct the purchases, would it only be the product sold or can I also deduct the printer, ink, and paper I purchased solely for it.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Will I report the profit of my TCG hobby? Example Purchases - $19,000 (Cards, paper, printer, and ink) Total sales - $20,000 Profit - $1,000

What new law? Do you have a hobby or a business?  If you are selling something you have a business.  If you have a self employment business on schedule C you can deduct all your expenses and pay income tax (and self employment tax) on just the net profit.  

Do you need to still file for 2022 or asking about 2023 we file next year?

To report your self employment income you will fill out schedule C in your personal 1040 tax return and pay SE self employment Tax. You can enter Self Employment Income into Online Deluxe or Premier but if you have any expenses you will have to upgrade to Premium or the Self Employed version. Or any of the Desktop programs. But you will get the most help in the Home & Business version.

How to enter income from Self Employment
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/self-employed/help/how-do-i-report-income-from-self-employment/00/...

Where to enter business expenses
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/where-do-i-enter-my-self-employment-busine...

Self Employment tax (Scheduled SE) is automatically generated if a person has $400 or more of net profit from self-employment. You pay 15.3% SE tax on 92.35% of your Net Profit greater than $400. The 15.3% self employed SE Tax is to pay both the employer part and employee part of Social Security and Medicare. So you get social security credit for it when you retire. You do get to take off the 50% ER portion of the SE tax as an adjustment on 1040. The SE tax is already included in your tax due or reduced your refund. The SE tax is in addition to your regular income tax on the net profit.

Here is some IRS reading material……
IRS information on Self Employment
https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/self-employed-individuals-tax-center

1040 Schedule C Instructions
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040sc.pdf

Publication 535 Business Expenses
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p535.pdf

Thank you for the response! It was very helpful!

I guess its not really a new law, but I was referring to the one in 2018 that doesn't allow deducting hobby expenses.

I am getting hung up on the hobby vs business. The factors listed by IRS make it sounds like I need to depend on it for my livelihood which is far from the truth. I'll profit some, but this will never be what I rely on. My hobby/business has generated 1300 sales since May which seems like it'd easily be classified as a business except for the livelihood factor.

This will be for 2023 that will file next year. 

An individual who conducts an activity as a for-profit business is allowed to deduct expense that are ordinary and necessary in carrying on the trade or business (IRC SEC 162). Losses are deductible. However, if a loss is attributable to an activity not engaged in for profit (a hobby) the loss, if any, is not allowed as a deduction (IRC SEC 183). 

an activity is presumed to be a for-profit business if there is net income for three or more out of five consecutive years. Taxpayers can elect to delay a determination of profit motive until the fifth taxable year. If three profitable years have been realized by that time, losses may be allowed for prior years. To make the election, a waiver of the statute of limitations must be signed, allowing the IRS to assess deficiencies. The election is made on form 5213. 

even though the activity an activity has met the three-out-of-five years profit test, the IRS can challenge the profit motive presumption if the facts indicate the activity is not a business (for example small profits in some years while large losses in others)

see reg 1.183-2(b) for facts and circumstances used by the IRS

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/26/1.183-2 

no one factor is determinative. that's why a discussion with a tax pro is warranted unless you conceded your activity is a hobby. 

if it's a hobby your income is taxable but none of your expenses are deductible for Federal income tax purposes. this income is not subject to self-employment tax. some states may allow the deductions.

if it's a business all your expenses mentioned are deductible and you report on schedule C. Any net income is subject to self-employment taxes. 

@Mike9241 wrote:

if it's a hobby your income is taxable but none of your expenses are deductible for Federal income tax purposes.

Not exactly.  Cost of Goods Sold (COGS) is still a deduction.  At first glance, even if the OP's activity ended up being a hobby (although he now said he things it may be a business), it sounds like much of the expenses are COGS.

The hobby/business is with a trading card game. I buy individual cards or sealed products mainly online and resell them online. I expect to make a profit of a couple grand annually. If I can classify it as a hobby and be able to deduct my purchases, that seems like the way to go. 

What all would be covered under the COGS? Below are the categories of my expenses going from most likely to lease likely. 

- Individual cards and seal products
- Shipping costs (Stamps and fees)

- Shipping supplies (Ink, paper, tape, etc.)

- Print (Solely used for this purpose)

I appreciate the help everyone is giving me!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies