Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cjknox

Where do I input the partners share of liabilities for the K-1?

I need to enter the partner share of liabilities but cannot find where to input them.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

You may review & edit this information in Forms Mode. (See How do I switch to Forms Mode in the TurboTax for Windows software?

Partners' Liabilities are allocated on Form 1065, page 5, below Schedule L "Partners' Liabilities Smart Worksheet" (see screenshot below - click to enlarge).

TurboTax allocates liabilities to all partners based on their year-end profit ratio. The program allocates all other liabilities ONLY to the general partners based on their year-end loss ratio. If you want to allocate the liabilities in a different manner, use the special allocation boxes.

NOTE: Loans from partners on line 19a, column d are treated as recourse debt on line D of the Partner's Liabilities Smart Worksheet.

CAUTION - Limited Liability Companies: Recourse liabilities, entered or calculated to the Partner's Liabilities Smart Worksheet, page 5, line D will NOT be allocated to members unless a special allocation code is entered. 

Enter a special allocation code ("P" for Profit percentage, "L" for Loss percentage, "O" for Ownership percentage, or any other ) in the column to the left of the amount.

To check the allocation calculations, see the Schedule K Reconciliation worksheet, Lines K-1 K(2) and K(3).
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

You may review & edit this information in Forms Mode. (See How do I switch to Forms Mode in the TurboTax for Windows software?

Partners' Liabilities are allocated on Form 1065, page 5, below Schedule L "Partners' Liabilities Smart Worksheet" (see screenshot below - click to enlarge).

TurboTax allocates liabilities to all partners based on their year-end profit ratio. The program allocates all other liabilities ONLY to the general partners based on their year-end loss ratio. If you want to allocate the liabilities in a different manner, use the special allocation boxes.

NOTE: Loans from partners on line 19a, column d are treated as recourse debt on line D of the Partner's Liabilities Smart Worksheet.

CAUTION - Limited Liability Companies: Recourse liabilities, entered or calculated to the Partner's Liabilities Smart Worksheet, page 5, line D will NOT be allocated to members unless a special allocation code is entered. 

Enter a special allocation code ("P" for Profit percentage, "L" for Loss percentage, "O" for Ownership percentage, or any other ) in the column to the left of the amount.

To check the allocation calculations, see the Schedule K Reconciliation worksheet, Lines K-1 K(2) and K(3).
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Johnsro12
Returning Member

What if you have lower tier liabilities?  When I input them it creates an error.  There is a location under schedule k-1 but only for beginning balances.  Thank you 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies