turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Kateswr

Where do I enter my computer purchase for my business?

I click that I want to expense as an election, it takes me to a page that says to add it under the business topic as "other expense" but that's nowhere on the page. Where do I go?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
Belling

For tax year 2015, A computer used in your business can be included on your business return as a ‘materials and supplies’ expense, rather than being depreciated as an asset, so long as the computer cost under $500 (otherwise You must list it as a depreciable business asset). 

To enter expenses for supplies used along with your Independent Contract work or sole proprietorship business in TurboTax Home & Business, click on the following:

Business Tab<Business Income & Expenses<”choose what I work on” or “Jump to a Full List”< Business Expenses< Other Common Business Expenses. Start.

1.The first screenshot below demonstrates the summary screen page for your business where you will click on Start (or Update) across from ‘Other Common Business Expenses’ under the category titled “Business Expenses”, as outlined in the steps above. 

2. My second screenshot below shows the  page you will arrive at next. This page is titled“Let’s write off some Business Expenses”, featuring several different categories of types of business expenses.You will want to choose ‘Supplies’ from this page, and proceed to enter your computer cost here, as supplies expenses.

MzBryant

I got a message in turbo tax about being able to write off assets that cost less than 2500. If you have asset purchases less than 2500, you can write them off as an expense (De Minims Safe Harbor Election). I'm thinking under miscellaneous expense?

Same Q here. 2016 Turbo tax informs me of the annual election to expense assets less than $2500, such as a laptop costing $1100.

SAME HERE 2016 TURBOTAX HOME & BUSINESS informed me to write off purchase of my computer -$1547 as an expense but can't find where to deduct it???

There are 17 unique categories for entering business expenses in the TurboTax Home and Business program for a Schedule C.  If you have a particular expense that does not fit in the other 16 categories listed use Other Miscellaneous Expenses at the bottom of the list.

• Click on Business
  • Click on Business Income and Expenses
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on
  • On Profit or Loss from Business, click on the start or update button

On the next screen, click on Edit for your business listed.

On the next screen scroll down to Business Expenses

On Other Common Business Expenses, click on the start or update button

I would like to expense my computer that I use (more than 50%) for my rental business. All my expenses go in schedule E, does this one also? What category? Is it a supply? I am not a real estate professional, just someone with a rental property.

Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies