turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bezdecor

K1 disposition and 1099-b, double reporting. Had undistributed 1256 income on k1 each year of ownership, which is not accounted in cost basis on 1099-B.

I have received a final K1 after selling an exchange traded fund. Each year of ownership I received a K1 and the profits in the fund were taxed, but the profits were suppose to offset the cost basis. Now I have a k1 with proper adjusted cost basis. But this sale was also reported to me on 1099-B from broker without cost basis adjustment. Do I remove that sale from my 1099 and  adjust my long term gains reported by broker? Or do I enter adjusted cost basis on 1099 instead and report 0 in cost and sale price in k1? Or do I report the properly adjusted cost and sale basis on K1 and remove from 1099?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
maglib
Level 11

K1 disposition and 1099-b, double reporting. Had undistributed 1256 income on k1 each year of ownership, which is not accounted in cost basis on 1099-B.

When you fill out the 1099-B make the cost and the proceeds the same and state in the description K-1 reported XYZ partnership, this way the IRS knows you reported the proceeds. The k-1 entry will appropriately report the gain/loss.

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies