turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bayfaith
Returning Member

What if my 1099-Misc only contains my commission, not the entire sales proceeds? Where do I show the entire proceeds in my Business section?

When I enter the 1099 amount (commissions) and then the change in inventory (COGS) in the Business section, it shows I have a loss because the 1099 I received only represents the commission, not the entire sales proceeds.  How do I enter this in the Business section?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

What if my 1099-Misc only contains my commission, not the entire sales proceeds? Where do I show the entire proceeds in my Business section?

As long as your total income exceeds your 1099-MISC, you don't even need to enter your 1099-MISC to claim your income. Since you entered it already, you can claim the balance of the sales proceeds in the Additional Income category.

(See the attached screenshots below. Click to enlarge.)

While you are signed into your TurboTax account you can use the steps below to enter your business income.
  • Select Federal on the black navigation bar, then select Income and Expenses at the top
    • For TurboTax Desktop you will scroll to Business Items and select Business Income
  • Select Self Employment Income and Expenses (you may have to scroll to select this)
  • Select edit/add or review
  • Proceed to enter your income and expenses for this business

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelDC

As long as your total income exceeds your 1099-MISC, you don't even need to enter your 1099-MISC to claim your income. Since you entered it already, you can claim the balance of the sales proceeds in the Additional Income category.

(See the attached screenshots below. Click to enlarge.)

While you are signed into your TurboTax account you can use the steps below to enter your business income.
  • Select Federal on the black navigation bar, then select Income and Expenses at the top
    • For TurboTax Desktop you will scroll to Business Items and select Business Income
  • Select Self Employment Income and Expenses (you may have to scroll to select this)
  • Select edit/add or review
  • Proceed to enter your income and expenses for this business

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies