turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jamlawxx

What does "Do you have evidence to support business use claimed?" mean?

I counted my car as something used in my business since I was a delivery driver, but it's asking if I have evidence. Does that mean evidence that the car was used, or evidence that I in fact worked for the company?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Patrice

Evidence to support your business claim is documentation to support the information that you are entering on your return.  The best evidence to support your business use is a written log of the business use of the vehicle that includes mileage and travel itinerary. You generally must have documentary evidence, such as receipts.  

Evidence that is used to support your claim would be considered adequate if it shows the amount, date, place, and essential description of the expense.  Cost of each separate expense. For car expenses, the cost of the car and any improvements, the date you started using it for business, the mileage for each business use, and the total miles for the year.

You should keep adequate written records to prove your expenses or have sufficient evidence that will support your own statement. You must generally prepare a written record for it to be considered adequate. This is because written evidence is more reliable than oral evidence alone. However, if you prepare a record on a computer, it is considered an adequate record.

You should keep the proof you need in an account book, diary, log, statement of expense, trip sheets, or similar records.  

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Patrice

Evidence to support your business claim is documentation to support the information that you are entering on your return.  The best evidence to support your business use is a written log of the business use of the vehicle that includes mileage and travel itinerary. You generally must have documentary evidence, such as receipts.  

Evidence that is used to support your claim would be considered adequate if it shows the amount, date, place, and essential description of the expense.  Cost of each separate expense. For car expenses, the cost of the car and any improvements, the date you started using it for business, the mileage for each business use, and the total miles for the year.

You should keep adequate written records to prove your expenses or have sufficient evidence that will support your own statement. You must generally prepare a written record for it to be considered adequate. This is because written evidence is more reliable than oral evidence alone. However, if you prepare a record on a computer, it is considered an adequate record.

You should keep the proof you need in an account book, diary, log, statement of expense, trip sheets, or similar records.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies