turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can a business asset purchased as used be deducted or depreciated?

Hello all. I'm currently entering in equipment I bought last year that were all over 200 dollars, so I'm entering them in the asset depreciation part of the form. My question has to do with a piece of equipment I bought used off of eBay. When i get to the screen that asks me about the asset I'm only given three options: 1. I traded in an old asset to acquire this one., 2. I purchased this asset new, and 3. The item was sold, retired, etc.

There's no option for me having purchased the asset "used". Can I not deduct this piece of equipment?

Thanks for your help.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

You would select that you purchased the asset new because it is a "new" asset to you even if it was bought used on Ebay.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DS30

You would select that you purchased the asset new because it is a "new" asset to you even if it was bought used on Ebay.

This should be better defined in TurboTax; (Edited 4-10-17) New Asset means "The original use of the property must begin with you". (brand new)
info30

Just to confirm, If I bought a Used boat for my fishing business, I select "I Purchased this asset new" - Is this correct? There are many different answers from Turbo tax on this...
DS30

Yes - because the boat is a "new" asset to you (even though it was used by the seller). Purchased new just means that it was a new purchase (as opposed to a trade-in) not that the asset was actually brand new.
info30

Why is it that if you select new it adds more money, is that because of the bonus depreciation
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies