turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I established a business and was up and "running" for 11 mos. Never made a sale and decided to go back to work. Can I still deduct my expenses for my start up in 2016?

Started a business that never took off. Can I claim business expenses if it was only running for 11 months?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PeterM

I established a business and was up and "running" for 11 mos. Never made a sale and decided to go back to work. Can I still deduct my expenses for my start up in 2016?

If this was a for-profit business activity that just didn't make any money...then yes, you can still deduct those expenses in the year you incurred them.

You just enter the expenses you incurred in Turbo Tax.

As far as revenues, if you didn't have any in 2016 then you'll have a business loss in 2016. Any time that your business expenses exceed your business income...you have a loss.

Below is a screenshot to help you get started in Turbo Tax.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
PeterM

If this was a for-profit business activity that just didn't make any money...then yes, you can still deduct those expenses in the year you incurred them.

You just enter the expenses you incurred in Turbo Tax.

As far as revenues, if you didn't have any in 2016 then you'll have a business loss in 2016. Any time that your business expenses exceed your business income...you have a loss.

Below is a screenshot to help you get started in Turbo Tax.

Thank you. Yes it was a for profit business.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies