turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pastot

I am trustee in Idaho for my late mother's irrevocable trust in Arizona, TT Business guides me to file state in Idaho for the trust. What did that?

The only reference to Idaho is my mailing address as the Trustee, the trust and everything about my mothers over all estate is based in Arizona.  Still TT business guides me to file the trust's state tax portion to Idaho.  I believe it should be filed to Arizona.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am trustee in Idaho for my late mother's irrevocable trust in Arizona, TT Business guides me to file state in Idaho for the trust. What did that?

What did that was the default programming of TurboTax, which presumes that the trust is a resident of the state where the trustee resides. Of course, you can always select another state in the State Taxes section since a free state is not included with the purchase of TurboTax Business.

Quite a few states consider the residence of trusts to be the state where the trust is administered and/or the trustee resides, or at least one of the factors in that determination. You might want to check Idaho and Arizona law because I believe both states consider the location of the trustee and administration of the trust as factors in determining residency.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

What did that was the default programming of TurboTax, which presumes that the trust is a resident of the state where the trustee resides. Of course, you can always select another state in the State Taxes section since a free state is not included with the purchase of TurboTax Business.

Quite a few states consider the residence of trusts to be the state where the trust is administered and/or the trustee resides, or at least one of the factors in that determination. You might want to check Idaho and Arizona law because I believe both states consider the location of the trustee and administration of the trust as factors in determining residency.

Anonymous
Not applicable

are you sure you didn't select a state somewhere in the beginning of preparing return   

pastot

Surprisingly - No. The only reference to Idaho is my mailing address as Trustee
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies