Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Self employed health insurance through Healthcare.gov

I got my insurance through Healthcare.gov last year but was not qualified to receive a subsidy. My AGI was way over. No biggie, nice problem to have.

I entered everything in TT (Deluxe, desktop edition) including putting my health insurance premiums in the appropriate box under Business expenses. When I completed the return it showed the entire total of $15,720 deducted in Schedule 1 line 16.

I went through my folder of tax stuff one last time and realized I had received a 1095-A with zero subsidies and a total of $14,981.52 in column A. I knew I needed to complete that part of the tax return.

After I did that line 16 of Schedule 1 had an adjustment of $30,696! Well, that was wrong so I removed the $15,720 from my business expenses.

But now the deduction is only $14,976. I can't find out how that is arrived at because there is a non-helpful note at the bottom of  the Health & LTC Worksheet- "A self-employed health insurance adjustment of $14976.00 from premiums paid through an exchange is included as an adjustment to income but does not appear on these worksheets."

I don't get how this happens. If I don't enter anything from the 1095-A I get a $15,720 deduction, but it is reduced even though I got nothing and don't qualify for anything from Obamacare.

It's $744 in added income, $164 in additional taxes, doesn't feel right when I shouldn't have to pay it. Same thing happened in 2019, I even upgraded to TT Home and Business hoping it would have a way to fix it but that didn't help. Not making the same mistake this year.

Is there a workaround?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Contact customer service and get someone to analyze a diagnostic copy of your tax return.  

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

I entered everything in TT (Deluxe, desktop edition) including putting my health insurance premiums in the appropriate box under Business expenses. When I completed the return it showed the entire total of $15,720 deducted in Schedule 1 line 16. if so this is what you told TT you paid for health insurance.  and thus would show up on schedule 1 line 16

I went through my folder of tax stuff one last time and realized I had received a 1095-A with zero subsidies and a total of $14,981.52 in column A. I knew I needed to complete that part of the tax return. This is what healthcare.gov says you paid for health insurance for 2020. monthly this is $1,248.46. TT would round to $1,248 for 12 months so schedule 1 line 16 would be $14,976.  so which is it?  did you pay $15,720 or the healthcare amount?  note that the healthcare amount is the premiums for 2020 even though it's likely you paid 12/19 in 1/20 and 12/20 in 1/21. did you have other health insurance such as dental insurance, long-term care insurance that wouldn't be included in the healthcare amount but would be deductible as SE health Insurance ?

I would say this is an issue you should be able to resolve without TT help.

Also review the form 8962  & line 2 of the Sch 2 ... what may have happened is you now  got some of the PTC now which reduced the SEHI deduction. 

Mike9241,

You're onto it. I'd forgotten about the timing aspect.

I decided to stop going through Healthcare.gov in November, so I signed up with my current insurance company but directly with them. We also decided to try upgrading to the "Silver" level, so our first month's premium was $1,937 and it was paid in December.

Even so, the amount I wrote the check to the insurance company each month I was in the Obamacare regime it was for $1,253.00, not $1,248.46 (per the 1095A).

So I still don't get it- even if I was on the same plan the amount shown for my premium was not what I was paying. Do I go back to Healthcare.org and get my 1095A corrected? Claim it as additional premiums on my Schedule C?

But thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies