Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

missd109

Schedule F for the farm me and my husband farm together, file 2 schedule F's splitting everything in half or file 1 schedule F. We file married filing joint for our 1040.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Schedule F for the farm me and my husband farm together, file 2 schedule F's splitting everything in half or file 1 schedule F. We file married filing joint for our 1040.

Yes, you should include two Schedules F on your jointly filed Federal tax return. By filing this way, your farm is electing to be a Qualified Joint Venture for tax purposes (see this link for more info: Election for Married Couples Unincorporated Businesses). Also, this allows both spouses to receive credit for social security and Medicare coverage purposes. 

The IRS has certain rules for reporting this way, including the requirement that you both materially participate in the running of the farm. Also, you must share the income, expenses, deductions, etc., in accordance with each spouse's interest in the farming business. Be sure you indicate that the "taxpayer" is the owner of one Schedule F and the "spouse" is the owner of the other.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Yes, you should include two Schedules F on your jointly filed Federal tax return. By filing this way, your farm is electing to be a Qualified Joint Venture for tax purposes (see this link for more info: Election for Married Couples Unincorporated Businesses). Also, this allows both spouses to receive credit for social security and Medicare coverage purposes. 

The IRS has certain rules for reporting this way, including the requirement that you both materially participate in the running of the farm. Also, you must share the income, expenses, deductions, etc., in accordance with each spouse's interest in the farming business. Be sure you indicate that the "taxpayer" is the owner of one Schedule F and the "spouse" is the owner of the other.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies