Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

"Schedule C (Form 8995-A)" has no entries

My 2020 TurboTax Online "Schedule C (Form 8995-A)" line 6 showed a Qualified business net (loss) carryforward.  For 2021, I have qualified business income not sufficient to cancel the loss, so this Schedule should have the 2020 loss on line 2 and a closer-to-zero negative number on line 6.  However, when I print my not-yet-filed return, the Schedule appears but has no entries.  I've confirmed the 2020 Qualified business net (loss) carryforward appears in online screen "Net Operating Loss/QBI Carryforward Loss".  How can I get this Schedule to have entries like it had under TurboTax Online 2020?  This is mandatory, because https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8995a.pdf says, "Line 6. The amount reported on this line must be reported in the next tax year on Schedule C (Form 8995-A), line 2, or Form 8995, line 3".
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

You have answered no to "Is this activity a qualified trade or business under section 199A?" so it is not counting 2021 as Qualified Business Income nor does it allow the carryforward because of this.

To correct this entry in TurboTax Online please follow these steps:

1. Within your Federal tax return, use the magnifying glass to search Schedule C
  2. Click the Jump to link
  3. On the info page scroll down to Qualified Business Income and click Details
  4. Review your answers to the questions on the following 3 screens

If the answers to these questions are correct as is, then your business situation has changed and no longer qualifies for the Qualified Business Income Deduction or Loss Carryforward.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

It would be helpful to have a TurboTax ".tax2021" file that is experiencing this issue.

You can send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information.  If you would like to do this, here are the instructions: 

Go to the black panel on the left side of your program and select Tax Tools. 

1. Then select Tools below Tax Tools. 
  2. A window will pop up which says Tools Center.  
  3. On this screen, select Share my file with Agent. 
  4. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is.  Click okay through this screen and then you will get a Token number. 
  5. Reply to this thread with your Token number. This will allow us to open a copy of your return without seeing any personal information.  

We will then be able to see exactly what you are seeing and we can determine what exactly is going on in your return and provide you with a resolution.

Thanks.  Your token number is: 931366

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

You have answered no to "Is this activity a qualified trade or business under section 199A?" so it is not counting 2021 as Qualified Business Income nor does it allow the carryforward because of this.

To correct this entry in TurboTax Online please follow these steps:

1. Within your Federal tax return, use the magnifying glass to search Schedule C
  2. Click the Jump to link
  3. On the info page scroll down to Qualified Business Income and click Details
  4. Review your answers to the questions on the following 3 screens

If the answers to these questions are correct as is, then your business situation has changed and no longer qualifies for the Qualified Business Income Deduction or Loss Carryforward.

I've corrected one of the answers.  The Schedule now populates correctly.  Thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies