Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sch C, Cost of Goods Sold, Other Costs detail

How do I get TTax to print out a schedule supporting the amount entered on Schedule C. Part III, Line 39, which is Other Costs in the Cost of Goods Sold?

This is a largish amount and I would like to provide some detail.

Thanks.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

Enter Forms Mode (click the Forms icon in the upper right side of the screen). 

In Forms Mode, click the Schedule C Worksheet, click in the Import Other Costs box, click the Cross to open the Supporting Details box and enter your other costs there (see screenshot). You will then be able to print out all of your other costs. 

CGS.png

Sorry, I just saw this. (I'm new and I thought there was an email notification when an answer is received.)

Anyway, I must have a different version than you. I'm using Home and Business 2018. The Forms icon is on the upper left, not right but more importantly, none of your other instructions match up. On the input I have entered the details of the CGS Other Costs and there is a box that is to be checked if the schedule is NOT to be printed. I leave the box blank and no schedule prints. I'd send a screen shot but I do not see how to do that.

Thanks.

We're using the same version; Home & Business and the screenshot below shows the icon in the upper right.

Anyway, you don't see the Preview Print Copy button as depicted in the second screenshot?

I just did a test and Schedule C plus the supporting details printed without issue.

form.png

print.png

@mnfriedman1 I just noticed that you are using the Mac version of Home & Business so that probably accounts for the variation. I am going to try to get someone using Home & Business on a Mac to assist you.

Mac is basically the same.   The forms mode is top left on a Mac.   Just open Sched C and double click on the line 39 data box and the supporting details pop up should appear.  Or select the line 39 box and use the top menu bar -> Edit -> supporting details, Or select the line 39 box and use keyboard short cut "command I" - they all do the same thing.

Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 3.46.12 PM.jpg

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thanks, I was about to write that maybe the difference was due my using the Mac version.

Hi SUPER Mac_User 22. Thanks for helping.

I've gotten to the exact screen shown on your screen shot. There is detail there and the box is not checked. But the schedule does not print. I'd attach my own screen shot but do not see how. Is it with the paper clip icon 

Insert/edit link?

You attach a screenshot with the "picture" icon.

picture icon.jpg

Supporting details are NOT printed or included as part of a tax return - they are for your information only.   You can print them by choosing to print all forms and worksheets (Top menu bar -> File -> Print).  The only thing that goes on  the actual schedule C for the IRS will be the line 39 total.

Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 7.03.41 PM.jpg

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thank you mac_user 22. Unfortunatley for me, this does not work, the back up schedule does not print even when all worksheets are printed. It's just not there. But even if it did, since there isn't a way to include it as part of an electronic filing I'll have to file a paper copy as in my experience the chances of audit increase if there is a large unexplained number.

Thanks again.

Sure it does, it comes at the end of the printout (page 69 of my test return).

No, it will NOT be part of the filed tax return because the IRS e-file system does not support details or allow it.  Even with a paper mailed return, data entry clerks will simply enter the paper return into the electronic system for processing and any such attachments will be ignored.

If the IRS questions it with a notice then that is the time to send the details -  in answer to the notice.

Screen Shot 2019-09-06 at 9.33.31 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2019-09-06 at 9.34.45 AM.jpg

@mnfriedman1 wrote:

...I'll have to file a paper copy as in my experience the chances of audit increase if there is a large unexplained number.

You can e-file, regardless, and simply save the worksheet (supporting details) for your records just in case. 

Printing and including that particular worksheet is a waste of time since the odds of anyone at the IRS reviewing it, or even retaining the worksheet, are slim to none.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies