Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

birddogtb
Returning Member

Sale of Business Auto/Recapture After Trade-In

I was hoping to clarify a position on a gain/loss on sale of a business auto as well as the basis of the new auto given the changes in the 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act.

Auto A used 100% for business was purchased for $44,000 in 2019, 100% business.

Total Deprecation is $10,000 making my adjusted tax basis $34,000.  This car was included in trade for another 100% business auto in 2022. Trade-in value on Auto A was $28,000 and the new car was $70,000. I had a loan on Auto A, was underwater, and had to pay $7,000 out of pocket to close the loan on the old car.

Questions:

- does the cash paid to pay off the old loan affect basis of the new car?  basis/capital gain of the old car? or is it as easy as:

- $34,000 basis minus $28,000 trade = $6,000 capital loss for Auto A

- Depreciable Basis in the new auto, Auto B, is its purchase price of $70,000

- There was no cash paid on the new auto, fully financed.

The like kind exchange rules were a bit different when calculating the basis of a new business auto (basis, cash/boot)  and wanted to be sure I was in line with the new tax rules concerning gain/loss on the trade as well as basis of new car.

Thank you for your help.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Sale of Business Auto/Recapture After Trade-In

does the cash paid to pay off the old loan affect basis of the new car?  No.  Under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, when you trade in a vehicle, that vehicle is considered sold and does not affect the basis of the new car.  

basis/capital gain of the old car? or is it as easy as:

- $34,000 basis minus $28,000 trade = $6,000 capital loss for Auto A  Yes, it is this easy. This is correct.  You have a loss of $6,000 on the old car.  The fact that you were underwater and had to pay $7,000 does not affect anything. The $7,000 was to cover the loan and did not affect the value of the car.  It just means you financed a car that had its value fall faster than your loan on the car.

- Depreciable Basis in the new auto, Auto B, is its purchase price of $70,000- Yes, the purchase price of the new auto is the depreciable basis.

- There was no cash paid on the new auto, fully financed.  When you finance a vehicle, house or other asset, it is the same as paying cash when it comes to the basis or any types of deductions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies