Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax table worksheet only lers me choose 1 item and I need to check 3 items. how do I do this?

When I first this turbo tax choose tax tables then I was able to choose only Capital Gains and then Schedule D.  taxes varied thousands of dollars.  What is correct way?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Tax table worksheet only lers me choose 1 item and I need to check 3 items. how do I do this?

You are not supposed to be able to change the tax calculation method in the Tax Smart Worksheet. TurboTax automatically selects the correct method, depending on what is in your tax return.

The IRS instructions for Form 1040 give the rules for determining which of the seven possible methods you have to use to calculate your tax. In the 2016 IRS instructions for Form 1040, look at the instructions for line 44, starting at the top of the right column on page 41. It's possible that the method you have to use for the amended return would be different from the method that TurboTax used for the original return, depending on what changes the amended return is making. But you can only use one method to calculate the tax.

If you are using overrides you are on your own. An override can cause the automatic calculations to break in unexpected ways. For that reason, using an override cancels the accurate calculations guarantee.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Are you referring to the Tax Smart Worksheet in the Form 1040 or Form 1040-SR Worksheet? If so, you do not select the method that is used. TurboTax will select the correct method automatically depending on what's in your tax return. Only one method can be used to calculate your tax. The method that is selected might change when you enter more information.

If you are referring to something else, please clarify exactly what you mean by "tax table worksheet." What is the exact title or heading of the worksheet, and exactly where do you see it in TurboTax?

What are you trying to do and why are you using a worksheet for reporting any type of capital gains?

If you sold investments then use the TurboTax interview to report the sale.  The software will be populate the worksheets, schedules and forms.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

If you have further questions, please also tell us whether you are working on a 2018 tax return or a 2019 tax return.

I am working on a 1040X for 2016 using my tax return from 2016 in turbotax.  Other problem I have is I let turbo tax fill out the 1040X and I let it fill in the numbers.  I sent the 1040X to IRS and they sent it back because the numbers were not what was on original return.  I then redid  my tax return and turbotax put in the same numbers as before.  I then deleted or over road the numbers and manually entered the correct numbers.

I am doing a 1040X for 2016 using 2016 return that was done in turbotax.     I am using a worksheet because I use forms method.  I have used forms method the past 20 or so years or when ever turbo tax came into the market.    I have capital gains because I sold a rental that I have had for 16 years.  I also had schedule D and ordinary income.  I started to use step by step but it was walking me thru filling out 18 forms in the return again.

Yes using Tax Smart Worksheet in 1040.  I was able at one time to change tax method and then it wouldn't let me.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You are not supposed to be able to change the tax calculation method in the Tax Smart Worksheet. TurboTax automatically selects the correct method, depending on what is in your tax return.

The IRS instructions for Form 1040 give the rules for determining which of the seven possible methods you have to use to calculate your tax. In the 2016 IRS instructions for Form 1040, look at the instructions for line 44, starting at the top of the right column on page 41. It's possible that the method you have to use for the amended return would be different from the method that TurboTax used for the original return, depending on what changes the amended return is making. But you can only use one method to calculate the tax.

If you are using overrides you are on your own. An override can cause the automatic calculations to break in unexpected ways. For that reason, using an override cancels the accurate calculations guarantee.

Contact TurboTax support and speak directly with a TurboTax support agent concerning this situation.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for a contact link and hours of operation -https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number
They are available M-F  from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time.

Support can also be reached during business hours by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

Thanks that is what I needed to know but didn't know where to find the information.  When I first started this post I was very skeptacal that I would get answer.  Thank You  Kurt

Thanks for your answer, it is much appreiciated.

Thank you for the response.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies