Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sub-S Distribution Error: Form 1120S p3-5: Total distributions should be blank ... Enter distributions and/or dividends directly on Schedule K, lines 16d and 17c.

Hi:

I am entering a Sub-S distribution as part of the shareholder information in TurboTax Business.   The ultimate goal is to create a K-1 that I pass to my personal return. Upon TurboTax review, I am told:

Form 1120S p3-5: Total distributions should be blank because you have checked the box NOT to compute Schedule M2 and/or NOT use the Schedule M-2/Retained Earnings Worksheet.  Enter distributions and/or dividends directly on Schedule K, lines 16d and 17c.

The amount appears in Schedule K -- Shareholder Distribution -- and Dividends Smart Worksheet” --Enter total cash and property --and in 16d, Distributions, but not in 17c – Dividend distributions paid from accumulated earnings and profits. All 3 boxes say pretty much the same thing.  So should I just remove the first number in the smart worksheet, leave the number in 16d and add the number to 17c?  If indeed the worksheet is related to retained earnings, I can see why it should not be there.  Retained earnings don’t exist in a Sub-S.  Can someone help me out?

Thanks for your help!

Terry

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Sub-S Distribution Error: Form 1120S p3-5: Total distributions should be blank ... Enter distributions and/or dividends directly on Schedule K, lines 16d and 17c.

Did you not come across the Distributions to Shareholder page in Step-by-Step?

It is right near the beginning (Business Info tab>>Shareholder Information).

Hi tagteam.  Yes, I entered the distribution into the shareholder information.  I had assumed TurboTax would know where to put the number in it's forms, but that was not the case.  Hence the error.  I did the entry right and checked it a couple of times.  I am being forced to edit Schedule K directly and needto know if I am doing it right.

Thanks for your reply.

I am having this same issue and can't get a response from Turbo Tax.  It makes no sense as I filled out the step by step the same as last year, and this year it gives me an error and doesn't put it on the right form.

I was finally able to resolve this.  I made myself a note for next year to do the following:

document dividend distribution to shareholders in Fed Taxes > Balance Sheet section. DON'T SHOW IN EARLIER DIVIDEND SECTION.

Turbotax support isn't really geared to business returns.  I found this tidbit after a bunch of internet searching.  Hope it works for you.

Terry

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies