Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

shoco21

Self Employed Section -Turbo Tax Deluxe- asking if actively participating? Gate attendant $275 and not really running a business but just side job- do I answer Y or N?

No expenses to claim
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Self Employed Section -Turbo Tax Deluxe- asking if actively participating? Gate attendant $275 and not really running a business but just side job- do I answer Y or N?

Yes, you actively participate in your side-business as a gate attendant.

See the following material participation tests from IRS Publication 925, summarized as:

Participation.   In general, any work you do in connection with an activity in which you own an interest is treated as participation in the activity.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for your reply....just want to confirm based on the following found in the Turbo Tax info tab:

This means that you were actively working in the business on a consistent, year-round basis. (An investor normally does not qualify.)

Work more than 500 hours in the year, or between 100 and 500 hours in certain cases, OR
- Perform all the work, even if you work fewer than 100 hours, OR
- Worked actively for five of the last ten years (they do not have to be consecutive) or three years if it was a personal service, such as consulting

1. I worked under 100-500 hours
  2. I did not perform all the work as the athletic department manages the event. What does ALL mean?
  3. Did not work the 3- 5 years stipulation nor on a yearly routine basis.

Do I still mark YES actively participating based on above?

Thanks in advance.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes, you definitely mark that you actively participate. The activity is conducted to make a profit and you are being subcontracted to provide a service for another company. The key is that you are being paid to perform a service as an independent contractor.

This is not your money making money for you, this is you physically performing a service for money. You are considered self employed in this type of work. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies