Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

allymia

Can I remain a partner with 0% profit/loss/capital?

From a tax perspective, am I able to remain in a partnership with 0% profit/loss/capital? In other words, can I be a partner that earns no income, does not claim any losses, and will not earn any capital on future dealings? I will no longer be actively participating in a partnership formed by myself, my mum, and my sister. However, I'm offering to remain on pro bono to help with their accounting. I'm planning to file our Form 1065 with 0% profit/loss/capital for my end of year, but without checking the Final Return box. It's been difficult to find answers surrounding this specific situation and calling the IRS didn't yield any helpful insights other than the suggestion of filling out Form 8822B if I am fully exiting the partnership - but I couldn't get answers to my specific question. Hoping the community can help!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
M-MTax
Level 10

An unincorporated organization with two or more members is generally classified as a partnership for federal tax purposes if its members carry on a trade, business, financial operation, or venture and divide its profits.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

No.  A partner has to own a part of the partnership or they are no longer a partner.

You might suggest reducing your share down to a half a percent or something.  But it can't be zero and still have you as a partner.

@allymia 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
allymia

Thank you for the reply! That certainly makes sense and seems to be a reasonable suggestion. I appreciate your input!

No, you are not a partner in a partnership if you do not share in the profits, losses of the business.

You can certainly continue to offer your services pro bono, but should not be included in the form 1065 filings.

If you have previously been a partner in the partnership, and will no longer continue, then you:

• Should receive a final K-1
  • Should receive a liquidating distribution when exiting.  If you are not receiving any liquidating distribution upon exit, you could still have tax consequences on "deemed distributions".  This area is way beyond the scope of discussing in the community.
  • Depending on past operations, if you used debt to take any losses, you could have a tax consequences
  • Hopefully you have maintained your tax basis (assuming you were a partner), as this is key in determining your gain or loss upon your exit; which is the year in which your partnership interest becomes 0% profit, loss or capital.
  • The form mentioned in your facts has nothing to do with whether you are a partner or not.
*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies